Limb & Landscape Removal Policy
Effective March 1, 2004, the Board of Trustees of the Village of Arthur passed Ordinance 03-01b-04 restricting open burning.
Upon discovery that the Village was in violation of the State of Illinois EPA regulations, this ordinance was passed. According to State Law, municipalities with a population of over 1,000 residents must not allow the burning of household waste, garbage, or municipal waste. The Village of Arthur is complying with the State Law in the banning of these burnings.
Landscape waste may still be burned with some restrictions. The definition of landscape waste is all accumulation of grass or shrubbery cuttings, leaves, or tree limbs. Burn barrels may still be used to burn landscape waste only.
Landscape restrictions include:
- Landscape waste shall only be burned on the premises on which such waste is generated.
- Landscape waste shall be burned only when atmospheric conditions shall readily dissipate contaminants.
- Landscape waste may be burned only if such burning does not create a visibility hazard on roadways, walkways or railroad tracks.
- The open burning of landscape waste may only begin during daylight hours when a person over the age of eighteen (18) years is in attendance during the entire period of the burning, and the flames and smoke created by said burning are extinguished before 7:00 p.m. or before sundown, whichever shall first occur.
- No open burning may occur during periods of time when determined by the fire chief or the chief of police that atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous.
This Ordinance shall not apply to wood, charcoal, gas operated grills, and small wood bonfires.
As an alternative to burning, the Village of Arthur provides residents with limb and landscape removal services.
Village of Arthur employees will pick up small limbs and sticks curbside, weather permitting, every Tuesday. Please do not leave your limbs out in the street. Limbs must be of the size 1 (one) man can easily handle.
Other landscape waste will be picked up such as shrubbery cuttings, fine sticks, leaves and sweet gum balls. These items must be placed in a paper sack or paper bag for removal by the Village and left curbside. If you do not have paper sacks or paper bags, they may be purchased reasonably at Oye's Hardware Store in Arthur or other home improvement type establishments. No grass clippings will be picked up by Village employees. However, the Great Pumpkin Patch south of Arthur will gladly accept grass clippings and leaves.
In addition, undecorated Christmas trees will also be picked up by Village employees.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Village Office at 543-2927 Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.